As for Abeka, we are in our 4th or 5th week(sorry my mommy brain lost track) and there are many positives as well as some negatives with the curriculum:
- God centered
- self directed
- the kids are enjoying the workbooks for grammar
- the health text booklet is cute and fun for the kids
- tooooo advanced esp for Wyatt
- moves way too fast
- everyone works individually, which means I am trying to divide myself 4 ways and I feel like I am ready to collapse from brain work by the end lol
- Bible stories are written in a very unengaging way
- takes too long to finish school
the really bad:
- The spelling program is by far the worst I have ever used. It is really way too advanced, moves too fast, is poorly designed and laid out and the execution is even worse. Kayla is spelling things like Connecticut, Massachusetts, leisure, restaurant, hyphen and cyclone, but 28 words total. They are just too hard for any 4th grader that I know. Its producing tears and I don't do tears. School is supposed to be fun and engaging
- The history and science are dry and boring beyond boring. They are also extremely repetitive. Wyatt's history is literally word for word, page for page, almost identical to Everett's, with very little extra elaboration.
I wont do this curriculum again, but we will try and finish it up by Jan at which time we will go back to Weaver curriculum.http://www.aophomeschooling.com/weaver/ Its an amazing curriculum which is more hands on and real life style learning with Bible as front and center.