Friday, February 25, 2011

Soaking Sprouting and Traditional Food Prep

Soaking and sprouting grains has became a fun new hobby for us. I want to give my family the most nourishing food I can and through much research and a new book called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, I have decided to drastically change the way we eat and prepare foods. The main emphasis is real food, nutrient dense and real.

Some things include fermenting and/or soaking and sprouting grains, beans, and legumes of all kinds before cooking, drying, grinding or eating them.
  •  Eating organic eggs(get these free from my mom who took all our chickens when we moved).
  • Eating range fed beef and chicken or hunted and fished game and fish.(easy as my hubby fishes all the time and him and his brother and dad kill wild hogs regularly along with duck)
  • Eating raw butter, cheese and milks......not so easy. I go for organic and full fat versions instead. California has very few places you can buy raw and its expensive as heck!
  • Eating pesticide free fruits and veggies whenever possible
  • Eating raw, soaked and sprouted nuts
 There are anti nutrients(nutrients that rob your body of nutrients) in unsoaked or unsprouted grains. Also as you sprout grains, they use their own carbs to grow the sprout which them turns almost everything very low glycemic index which has completely taken care of my blood sugar issue. Some of my new favorite sites are:
http://www.nourishingdays.com/

http://www.westonaprice.org/book-reviews/thumbs-up/393-nourishing-traditions-the-cookbook-that-challenges-politically-correct-nutrition-and-the-diet-dictocrats.html

http://nourishedkitchen.com/

http://gnowfglins.com/

http://cookingwiththebible.com/results.aspx?option=browse&type=course&q=bread (great traditional recipes, though you must use your own judgement to adapt recipes with soaked, soured or sprouted grains)

http://thenourishingcook.com/


As a side note to nutrition......I have dropped to 118! I am officially down 20 lbs in 3 months. Isnt it odd switching to full fat milks and butters, I have LOST more weight effortlessly this past month.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for the info, I will check them out :D Way to go with the weight loss, I can't wait to see your new pics! I am down 13lbs since Jan. 1, slowly but surely!

Aubrey said...

you go girl!!!

Cyndi said...

Your weight loss has inspired me. I have started running again, and eating healthier. I have lost 5lbs during February! I want to lose a bit more before we decide to try for another baby after having 2 miscarriages in a row two years ago. Now I am measuring myself often and weighing myself every day. The little dips in weight give me encouragement to keep going.

Farmer Mama said...

Kaitlyn, woohoo thats actually quick for 13 lbs

Aubrey thank you

Cyndi, yahoo, I will pray for you that you dont have to experience another m/c. Hugs and way to go with the weight loss too

Rightthinker said...

I'm new to your blog! Great stuff here! I'm a homeschooling mama to our 6 children.

Yes, eating traditional diets fully bathed in healthy fats sure is a healthier way to live..really debunks the myth of today's low cal, low fat living!

God Bless!

Rightthinker said...

Sorry to double comment..looked through things a bit more, and wanted to mention that we have the same van and love it! We also go to a Calvary Chapel here in North Idaho.

God Bless!