While I sit considering my options with my blog, I wanted to address something else.....vaccinations. After having a child with Aspergers Syndrome, I have always been scared every time they inject my child. I feel as if I hold my breath for a whole day afterwards praying that they are the same as they were prior to shots. I have done some shots early on and then delayed til they were 2-3 and started "catching them up." After more research on the topic lately though, I really wonder, what is necessary? I do not want to go with "herd immunity" so I have chosen to eventually get my children all the vax I feel are worth the associated risks. My theory is basically this: am I more scared of them getting the vax with all sorts of things in it-thermosal, aluminum, msg, and so many other horrible additives that can trigger scary reactions, or the disease itself. I starting thinking about this more in depth the past few days as I deal with Wyatt who seems to be worsening lately. It could just be the double ear infection we have been battling for a month now too, but my thoughts always wander back to those shots. He was overloaded with shots at his tender size(5 lbs) and age(newborn). They gave him more to "protect" him in his very fragile state that he was born in. He had intrauterine growth restriction and was born 5 lbs 8 ounces full term +1 day. He had no suck swallow reflex and his weight dropped to 4lbs, 13 ounces by 3 weeks old. He was starving. It was horrible. They were pounding him with shots so he wouldn't get this or that. I was 17 and didn't know better. This was before mercury was mandated out of shots as well. Even now though, no one checks up to regulate mercury actually not being in the shots(I learned this just recently). So I sat down and really looked at the shots that Drs want to give and when and came up with a schedule that I am comfortable with. My kids will still be given shots, but on my terms and it will be delayed mostly.
DTAP needs 4 doses instead of 5 if the last dose is given at 4+ years old.
What we wont do: influenza, rota virus, varicella, Hep A, Hep B, and pnuemonococcal for now. The only 2 I am considering later on are Heb B and Varicella.
Kenna will be getting DTAP at 2 years and again at 4 years and that will be covered. (she has already had 2 doses)
She has had 2 doses of HIB and will have no more
Measles and Rubella possibly at 4 and 6 years old....still debating about this one. The other kids have had it though. *mumps vaccine doesn't seem to be working anymore so there is no point to that one
She has had 2 IPV and will get her last IPV at 12 months
We will have titers done at 5 or so to check for immunity for DTAP, IPV and MMR
Future children vax schedule will be:
9 months old DTAP, IPV
12 months old DTAP, IPV
15 months HIB, DTAP, IPV
4 years DTAP
Measles and Rubella MUCH later
If they dont get chicken pox by age 12, I will consider chicken pox shots as chicken pox can be pretty rough for an adult. I will also consider Hep B at this age.