Tuesday, November 11, 2008

In Light of Thriftiness


I just had to post about this. I decided since we are trying to be much more thrifty with our money so Nate wont need to work overtime, that I would make myself go to the DI and maybe one other thrift shop locally one time a week, but only buy needed items when/if they have them. Well I go into the DI today knowing my kids need church clothes desperately as they are quickly outgrowing their $20 button down shirts and nice dresses. I walk in and I swear our father in Heaven, He REALLY knows our need. To my surprise I find a brand new Van Heusen button down in pale blue for Wyatt, $4 and a brand new white white button down for Everett, $8. To make matters better, there is a beautiful boys jacket in sz 5 that will either fit Everett or Tanner, but I snagged that as well for only 4 bucks. Next, I hit the girl's sections and Kenna really needed some new dress shoes as her only ones are white and the crawling has done a number on them. I walk up and kid you not, a brand new pair of little shiny black dress shoes in her size(3) for only 3 bucks. I would have paid at least 14 at Payless for the exact shoe. I couldn't even believe it. I then find a beautiful dress for her in size 3 that I plan to stuff away. It was brand new and at least a 20 dollar dress and I got it for 5 bucks. So my grand total leaving was 26 dollars for 2 brand new dress shirts, a slightly used boys dress jacket, a brand new dress and brand new shoes for Kenna. Can you believe that? I stopped in at a consignment store as well to check for big girl dresses and while they had so many in sz 6, nothing in sz 8 for Kayla. She was a tad bummed, but I told her that these places are just hit and miss and one day there will be a jackpot for her and nothing for the boys, that she just has to be patient! So I feel super proud of myself today for my accomplishment. I am very picky so it was surprising to me that I found anything I liked.

11 comments:

Anna said...

Isn't it great? I just got DD all her winter playclothes for 26 at DI too. I only seem to find stuff when I truly need it. Beware the deal bug- it is very itchy and likes to be scratched!

Mom of Princesses said...

That is AWESOME! I've been trying to hit DI for a while and just haven't made it yet. Have you checked Children's Orchard? Not sure exactly where you are, but I always seem to find the best stuff there (depending on which location).
Vicci (2_princesses)

Kat M said...

That is great that you found so much stuff that you needed!!!

Janice and Jessica said...

Try Freecycle as well. www.freecycle.org I have gave away a lot and also recieved a lot!! You can sign up for your area. I got my dryer on there 2 years ago and it is still working great. Everything is FREE!!!!

Jeanie said...

We don't have that kinda store here, but sounds nice! I make sure to print my 20% off of wowcoupons.com everytime I go to Children's place and the outlet is even better as I have gotten lots for $2 each and then the discount too. With 4 boys thier stuff has held up better than Old Navy, or even Oshkosh believe it or not!kidsurplus.com is pretty good too.

Farmer Mama said...

Oh Jeanie, I am ashamed to admit I saved all my invoices for childrens place for 1 year!! EEEK. I spent just shy of 3 grand in one year there and that doesnt even touch the old navy and gap purchases lol

Melissa said...

Try Kid to Kid as well! :)

Melissa :)

Mary Ellen said...

wowee! We don't have that store, but there are gr8 deals to be had in NYC. I can go to sample sales and buy beautiful designer stuff for 80-90% off. Of course, I don't have time for that and buy most of my stuff from Uniqlo or Gap.com. I get all the kids stuff from Children's Place and Wal-mart if we are ever near one (which is like never ever)

Missy said...

okay, I am really just a blog stalker. I have been hearing about your story from babycenter. I just have to ask this question. Where did you find a DI in SoCal? I am in SoCal as well and actually just heard about it in the last month of so.

Farmer Mama said...

Missy, I guess I was lucky, we have one pretty close by our house and I used to work at a McDonalds next to it when I was a teen lol??

Jessica said...

Hey, Janis. I don't know if you remember me. I have commented on your blog before. I saw that you and your family are giving the church another go. That is great and I hope you find the peace that all of you are looking for.

On the subject of thrift shopping. That is awesome what you found at DI! I love that place. I used to break the bank trying to outfit my 2 kids for each season and wondered how I could possibly keep it up when more came along. My SIL showed me however just how awesome thrift shopping can be! It is hit and miss, but her kids are always dressed like they spend all their money on their clothes and she does it ALL either thrift or really good clearance. I have started seeing the success of it now that I have been doing it. This winter I spent $130 on both girls and that included, shoes, coats, pants, dresses, sweaters, jackets, etc. Where I live we have a Methodist church that holds a clothing, toy, books, furniture bazaar every spring and fall. I wonder if you can research around there and find if there is one that does the same. My SIL and I go every time and it is like Christmas. It is so fun and we just avoid the things that are ugly or worn or whatever. So much of what we find is brand new and name brand. I am so glad you found things for your kids. Check it out, you may find some good ones there.