What the Bible tells us about money
- Proverbs 21:5 The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenty; but the thoughts of everyone who is hasty only to poverty. -We are told to be diligent with our spending, not hasty.
- Luke 14:28-30For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he may have enough to finish it; lest perhaps, after he has laid the foundation and is not able to finish, all those seeing begin to mock him, saying, This man began to build and was not able to finish. -This verse makes me think about budgets. A fool would go spending before making a budget first and paying their bills before going and buying Starbucks or a designer purse.
- 1 Corinthians 16:2 On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come. -We should be saving......umm not something we have been doing lately as we have a lovely way of spending everything by the next payday and never putting a dime aside.
Contentment has lots to do with people thinking they need more money also. These verses speak loud and clear for themselves.
- Psalms 23:1The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
- Ecclesiastes 5:10Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.
- Matthew 6:31-33“Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ “For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Luke 3:14Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, “And what about us, what shall we do?” And he said to them, “Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages.”
- Philippians 4:11-13For I have learned to be content, whatever the circumstances may be. I know now how to live when things are difficult and I know how to live when things are prosperous. In general and in particular I have learned the secret of eating well or going hungry of facing either plenty of poverty. I am ready for anything through the strength of the One who lives within me.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:11 And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you
- 1 Timothy 6:7-10For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
- Hebrews 13:5Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have.
God doesn't have many pleasant things to say about the love of money either.
- Mark 8:36For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?
- Mark 4:19But the worries of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.